passenger terminals of road, nautical and railway traffic including
public city transport and inter-city bus station are located at
the eastern part of city harbour Split.
The bus station was built in 1968. Passenger traffic is constantly
growing, but still hasn't reached the numbers achieved in the years
before the war. This part of city harbour is used for loading, unloading
and exchange of passengers, but also exchange between different
aspects of traffic in course of passenger transits and loading and
unloading of vehicles on ferries. Additionally, the eastern area
of city harbour attracts large numbers of vehicles and pedestrians
because of the imediate vicinity of the city centre and main market-place.
The city harbour has a significant role in the develpment of Split
during its 1700 years of existence. This is the result of traffic
and geographical position of Split, where gradual development of
means of communication enabled integration of traffic system.
A British expert for maritime affairs
and harbours, J.F. Slogget wrote about the city harbour of Split
the following: "Most ferry ports would be prepared to invest
millions of dollars to achieve a possible degree of traffic integration
that is now present in Split."